Mark Kermode on… Kathryn Bigelow, a stylish ruffler of feathers

From vampire noir to Bin Laden, Point Break to Detroit, the first woman to win an Oscar for best director has never pulled her punches Watching new Jeff Nichols release The Bikeriders , starring Austin Butler and Tom Hardy as 60s Chicago greasers, I was reminded of two other movies: László Benedek’s 1953 Marlon Brando vehicle The Wild One , explicitly cited as an inspiration, and The Loveless , the 1981 feature debut of Kathryn Bigelow , the American film-maker (b.1951) who would go on to become the first woman to win a best director Oscar with her 2008 war drama The Hurt Locker . A symphony of leather-clad posing (with just a touch of Kenneth Anger ), The Loveless was a staple of the late-night circuit in the 80s, often on a double bill with David Lynch’s Eraserhead . Sharing directing credits with Monty Montgomery, Bigelow playfully deconstructed masculinity and machismo in a manner that was one part wry to two parts relish. I remember seeing The Loveless at the Phoenix in East

For The ‘No Body’ Music Video, Blake Shelton Says Sporting A Mullet Once More Sounded Totally Natural

In case the original supporters are curious, yep, Blake Shelton is going back to the '90s, and the mullet is also making a comeback. The music video for Shelton's most recent song, "No Body," which was released on Friday, was also accompanied by the song. Shelton pays homage to the 1990s in the song, the decade in which he went to Nashville in order to pursue his career as a country artist. Shelton chose to go back in time to a time when country bars were packed with line dancers in order to depict this concept in the music video and recreate the feeling of being a teenager. "I distinctly recall telling Scott Hendricks, his producer, that this song would have had a line dance to it if it had been released in the 1990s. Explains Shelton, 46, to PEOPLE. "We didn't look back after that at all." Along with the '90s-themed bar and line dancing, Shelton chose to fully embrace the theme by donning his trademark mullet and cowboy hat. He claims, "I felt absolutely natural donning the mullet." "Making the video in this specific pub in particular. There was no air conditioning running. There was a lot of heat." Adds, "My side of my face and neck were covered in hair. And I distinctly recall thinking, "Oh yeah, this is why I ultimately took off my mullet." It was physically uncomfortable, not because it was out of style or uncool." Even though The Voice coach sported the mullet years ago, he claims he likely would never do it again. "Since the mullet I had was uncool at the time, I suppose I don't care about fashion trends. I don't have a mullet now that they are fashionable. So I suppose I don't understand. I ought to. I'm not opposed to them. I simply run a little bit late every time."

from Celebrity Insider https://ift.tt/PYZqTJz
via IFTTT https://ift.tt/efATHbs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gasoline Rainbow review – a free-ranging coming-of-age ode to the curiosity of youth

Elaha review – sex, patriarchy and second-generation identity

Shraddha Kapoor roped in as co-founder by demi fine jewellery start-up Palmonas